Sunday, May 25, 2014

Installing 8GB Memory in my Mac Mini (Early 2009)

Added 8GB of Corsair memory to my Mac Mini (Early 2009) MB463LL/A

I could not find official documentation that the firmware would support 8GB, but many users reported doing this successfully.  I verified that my Mac had the latest Firmware installed. Installed the Memory.  Seems to be working fine after many hours of use.

I wanted to test the memory, but I can't figure out how to boot the Mac into the Diagnostic Mode described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11342

Holding down D while restarting doesn't seem to work.  I think it's because I'm using a Non-Apple wireless keyboard.  I'm betting the keyboard isn't functional when the BIOS is looking for startup keys.

I also can't seem to boot from a USB key I made for running MEMTEST86+ for similar reason.  Holding down Option (alt) doesn't work for entering Startup Manager.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310

TODO:  Obtain a Wired keyboard and try again.

Notes:  Keyboard mappings:  Option = Alt,  Command = Windows key


No comments:

Post a Comment